President Donald Trump’s national security advisor, Mike Waltz, has repeatedly landed in hot water in recent days, beginning with an uproar from Democrats over a Signal chat leak with high-ranking national security officials that has since snowballed,
The Pentagon’s inspector general will investigate whether Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth used the encrypted commercial app Signal to discuss classified information about a military strike in Yemen. Hegseth and other administration officials have denied any classified information was mentioned.
The Department of Defense‘s Office of the Inspector General announced Thursday that it will investigate Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth‘s use of Signal to discuss possible military operations. The Signal group chat included several Cabinet members,
The evaluation will look into whether Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth complied with department policies when using a Signal group chat last month.
Last week, the White House said the National Security Council, the White House counsel office and President Trump adviser Elon Musk were all looking into the mishap. But now, that probe has wrapped
Just seven days after the Signal chat scandal erupted, the White House announced that it doesn’t want to talk about it anymore. In fact, it was Monday when press secretary Karoline Leavitt said that, as far as she and her colleagues are concerned, “this case has been closed.”
Explore more
Officials were crisscrossing the world as they sent and received sensitive messages on Signal about an imminent U.S. attack on Yemen.
Defenese Secretary Pete Hegseth, national security adviser Mike Waltz and more of the contacts who appeared in the Signal group chat about a U.S. attack on Houthis in Yemen.
The independent watchdog said it would assess whether the defense secretary followed department policies when he shared military strike plans in a group chat.